This is what I feel the ultimate in athletic ability entails. When they go airborne for a layup, Im looking for an individual who goes up with no fear. The Morton Lady Potters is an Illinois High School Girls Basketball team from Morton, Illinois. Victory favors the team making the fewest mistakes. Kendrick Perkins is both Leader and Mentor and every team has these roles. Some nights its not going to be your night, where you can touch the ball. I figure if I make it until next Saturday then God blessed me with a little extra time to be with my loved ones., Then he concluded with, It is nice to talk with you Tom, I hope you choose to spend more time with your I ended up having to go to three toy stores to round up 1000 marbles. Looking deep into her eyes, he still can't be sure she even recognizes him. She had followed him all over the country -- from Louisville, Kentucky, to Washington to Atlanta, on his way to becoming one of the most decorated and revered sportswriters in the country -- until five years prior, when the couple decided to return to Central Illinois, where they both had grown up. They get stops, and then get scores. We get his candid takes on scheduling, what he does in his free time and even his favorite sports memories! "Congrats to our 8th Grade Girls on their 3rd place finish at State!! 2 Grizzlies, Bayern back in charge, Yamal makes history, Napoli's party spoiled: Weekend Review, Man City go top of Premier League as Haaland scores 50th goal in win at Fulham, Man United end Villa's run, take step towards top-four finish against backdrop of fan protests, Legacy pick: Cardinals take great-great-nephew of team's first-ever draft pick, The story of the Cowboys scout and prospect son Dallas just drafted, UFC 288: Why Burns and Muhammad are taking the biggest fight of their careers on short notice, Transfer Talk: Man Utd, PSG to battle for Abraham's signature, How a thrill-seeking stuntwoman became crashed ice's biggest star, Freshman tops list of high school prospects. Hes been a great leader.. My life had turned dark. Girls Who Were to Play Against Gianna Bryant Day She Died Want to Honor Her in Basketball, This Coach Hits Jaw-Dropping Basketball Trick Shot, 6-Year-Old's Amazing Defense Rocks Basketball Court in Viral Video Taken by Her Dad, Meet Reporter Who Started #GirlDad Trend in Honor of Kobe Bryant and Gianna. But its just one of those things you learn from.. "There will be lunch, you might be there for that. Thats the program here, thats the value of leadership that transcends all those statistics, all those metrics, all those things thatll never measure how a franchise keeps itself together. From the front office of Sam Presti and Troy Weaver, to coaching of Brooks, this is a franchise thats been unblinking with confronting its issues. But quickly I sink a jumper. Im very excited to announce that I will be continuing my academic and athletic career at ICC next year. They anticipate, see the court and read the defense. Kindred." These situations more than most others will illustrate his ability to catch the ball. . Most of those people don't have people that come very often. The following was shared with me from Coach Stubbs of Missouri State University. They stay away from making it a quick shoot, playground game. #3 The faster the ball moves, the closer the defenders stay to their man. That's when Kindred felt the itch. We inspire one another, encourage and sustain one another. I had planned on doing some work that morning and then go to the gym. After assessing the quickness of an individual, I try to determine how good his hands are. They move the ball and take high percentage shots. A podcast that features an update on Morton High School #709 Athletics, including features on current athletes and teams of yesteryear. Nevertheless, there were a couple of conversations with Ibaka and his coach on the off days in New York this week, and, as always, Perkins worked Ibaka over, too. Although she had a lot of college interest from schools at different levels, ICC ultimately felt like the right fit while allowing Jones to stay close to home. Each of us has our own criteria whereby we assess selflessness, aggressiveness, poise, and many other personality traits. Coach Bob Becker and the players from the Morton Lady Potters Girls Varsity Basketball team will share their thoughts throughout the season. The final buzzer sounds. There are three major areas of consideration which I address in my evaluation of a prospective athlete. Then Kindred puts on his coat and makes for the exit. His son is Jake Eastman of the Bradley mens basketball team. Katie Krupa is an incredible player in the paint and I knew that if she was posting up I needed to get the ball to her, Jones said. ", "I've read your stuff on Facebook," says the nephew, reaching out to shake hands with the man. "He writes the website. However, no matter how diverse our philosophies and the styles of play that we employ, I think every coach wants to recruit or coach players that enjoy playing hard. I studied them, he said. Kindred explained that he began facing his own troubles in life after returning to his hometown. Finally, a really smart passer doesnt put the ball in the corner unless that man has a shot and he never passes to a man who has begun to cut away from the hoop. So just seeing the joy on their faces when they figure something out is really magical to see.. Ultimately, Jones decided she wanted to give kids the experience she had growing up, and began running a basketball camp in her driveway. This year's team, led by junior forward Tenley Dowell and standout sophomore forward Lindsey Dullard, has won six of its first seven games, outscoring opponents by a combined 127 points. "There was nothing bad about it," he says. She had never played the position before for the Lady Potters, but the transition was seamless. Coming this September, the legendary sportswriter @DaveKindred writes about the team that changed his life: the Morton High School Lady Potters basketball team. The man in the jacket turns his bushy mustache up in a smile of amusement. But he isn't exactly a reporter or columnist. She can speak, but it's difficult to carry on a conversation. Posted on December 19, 2012 by mortonladypotters Following is from Boston Celtic Assistant Coach Kevin Eastman. Kindred wrote what he saw -- poor athleticism and lack of fundamental skills. However, when sliding from the high to low post or when flash posting, can the man catch the pass amid other players and on the move? I picked it up and read a few pages and after asking Coach if I could take it and read it I have since finished it. "She never speaks my name. All over the floor, Westbrook has blossomed into a relentless ballhawk. I look first of all for a player with an explosive first step. You see, I sat down one day and did a little arithmetic. He has watched many of these girls grow up from the bleachers. In fifth grade, she helped lead that team to the AAU Girls State Championship, and the team would go to the AAU Nationals where they would place third. But even in his many years covering Ali, Kindred said he has likely written more about the Lady Potters to date. They understand that defense must be their trademark. Would anything ever be the same again? "Whoever I am to her is there every day from 10 until after lunch," he says. 2023 BVM Sports. The next morning, Dave Byrne's cell phone rang. Usually it's a compliment, followed by something you did wrong or something embarrassing. Byrne was taken aback. Women's Basketball. When they go airborne for a layup, Im looking for an individual who goes up with no fear. He learned under Kevin Garnett in Boston, and will quote K.G. Im most impressed by those who can jump off two feet in a crowd. She is going to have an amazing career and Im looking forward to seeing how she will improve as she takes more of the reins on the team.. my poor defense permitted the basket, but what can one hoop mean? When you're a daily newspaper columnist, you have to wear well. If you forgot your password, no worries: enter your email address and we'll send you a link you can use to pick a new password. "My professional observer instincts kicked in," he says. I step to the line for one and one, but I have a concentration lapse. But first, the 19-year-old is finding a way to give back while also giving local girls a classic summer basketball experience they are missing out on this year. I took them home and put them inside a large, clear plastic container in my workshop next to the radio. For 12 days, Kindred barely left the hospital in Normal, Illinois, manning his post in the chair beside his wife's bed, wondering if she would ever respond to his voice, ever open her eyes and recognize his face. We really appreciate so many eager volunteers to help throughout the weekend make this event possible. Our alumni are very special to us and seeing them in the crowd brings back so many memories. They are at least adequate with both hands. They happen everywhere. Kevin Eastman, assistant coach of Boston Celtics always has great insight and this article is excellent in helping explain the importance of EVERY player on a team. Some teams play zone, some press, some play man to man, some play up tempo, some play a possession game. After a moment, coach Becker summons Kindred into the locker room, where the team sits in a circle of metal folding chairs, still in uniform. 350 N. Illinois Ave., Morton IL 61550 | Phone: 309-266-7182 | Fax: 309-284-6037 Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions Home Athletics BOYS TEAMS Baseball Basketball Bowling Cross Country Football Golf Lacrosse Soccer Swimming and Diving Tennis Track and Field Wrestling GIRLS TEAMS Basketball Bowling Cheerleading Basketball Cheerleading Football Morton, IL. Kevin Eastman, assistant coach of Boston Celtics always has great insight and this article is excellent in helping explain the importance of EVERY player on a team. My sophomore year was the only year I didnt make it to state at all during my junior high and high school careers and it was saddening to see the season end earlier than what we were used to.. A do-it-all team player who knows what it takes to win, Jones still has a bright future ahead with her playing career, but it also seems she has found a perfect calling for the future. By the time Kindred made the jump to a major metro newspaper in Louisville at age 24, he had already started to develop a distinct voice that would endear him to readers and colleagues alike. Morton girls basketball looks to remain in good hands, as rising junior and touted prospect within the state, Katie Krupa, remains a fixture on the team. Kindred was always fascinated by sportswriters. There is nothing like watching your time left on earth run out to help get your priorities straight. Perhaps never before has it been such a balancing act for the organization, and thats where Perkins plays such an important part. He explained he became as successful a writer as he is by learning from his peers. But I think that really motivated me.