Id never heard it referred to as Haunted Harbor, but instead as Tragic Harbor. Your email address will not be published. He did keep Magic Mountain open, as my father successfully ran on Mr. Thompsons behalf and I worked for him for a few summers myself. Or yet another tragedy? in Myrtle Beach (Now La Casona Mexican Restaurant), Santa Fe Station: Restaurant located at 1101 Hwy. The success of Sun Fun and other events in the 1980s and 90s solidified Myrtle Beach as the hub of family-friendly festivals in the Southeast. Even after the destruction of the building, the pavilions midway remains a popular attraction for visitors. I had the biggest crush on one of the other performers. In June, around the time of the second annual Carolina Country Music Festival, which attracted more than 20,000 attendees, Myrtle Beach Adrenaline Adventures submits plans to the city to expand its zipline attraction to occupy more of the 11-acre lot. This $2 million compact steel roller coaster features small cars that race around a track that features many quick dips and sharp, hairpin turns. The former Pretzel ride building was converted into an Arcade though. I would like to correct some of the mistakes you actually made in your comments, which were quite hurtful to me and my family. The parking lot was leased out to the carneys to try and bring in some revenue to offset the legal fees. him with a gun while robbing that day's money take. Hello to all the people who worked with me during those four wonderful summers. First of all, Sherri DePew was not nearly decapitated at all, as I was sitting two cars behind her when she tragically came out of her seat and knocked her head on the rail that enclosed the Black Witch. The place just never recaptured that magic (no pun intended.) The corkscrew roller coaster was at Magic Harbor first. I was extremely saddened and shocked to read your words. Now my dad has passed away and I sit almost daily trying to find out anything I can about him. Cowboys, Indians, gunfights and more. My dad made the best attempt to keep Magic Harbor and Magic Mountain running, but it was by NO fault of his that it closed. Located 4 miles south of Myrtle Beach on the old Highway 17, it was a novel attraction for its time. They are the ones who built the Water Slide (the first fiberglass slide on the East Coast), built the Log Flume, added the Corkscrew Roller-coaster, a live Dolphin Show, had Hot Air Balloon rides, and built the High Steppin Country Theater creating what would become the longest running show in Myrtle Beach). Updated Tuesday, April 03, 2007. or I performed in High Steppin Country in Gatlinburg, TN in 1987, the only year the show ran in both Myrtle Beach. Blyane got his start in the show and went on study and work in New York City. First of all, Sherri DePew was not nearly decapitated at all, as I was sitting two cars behind her when she tragically came out of her seat and knocked her head on the rail that enclosed the Black Witch. herefor the special page of Pavilion pictures. It was the summer after I lost my brother and my dad brought me there to work. your own Pins on Pinterest Rained most of the time but didn't matter. Aerial Imagery. The park closed due to this and bad word of mouth. This thrilling wooden coaster featured a 100 foot drop and a top speed of 55 mphit was a favorite among guests from its opening in 2000 until the parks closing in 2006. Despite several down years leading up to the closure, the park experiences a renaissance in its Farewell Season with increased business, and several online petitions circulate in an effort to save the park. Id love to be able to go again, it was a awesome place! I distinctly remember this. Only a block wide, the smaller park cant compete with the Pavilions variety of ride but does offer an awe factor with its 200-foot-tall signature Astro Needle ride. Residents of Belle Harbor are breathing a sigh of relief at least temporarily after the Myrtle Beach Planning Commission voted Tuesday against extending two roads with cul-de-sacs to I remember by mom and aunt doing this when I was little. The Corkscrew rollercoaster was long gone by then. The Perry family (Phil, Tony, Rhonda, Gail) treated us like gold. But the grounds Even those in town from the rock or metal crowd could count on the Purple Gator in Myrtle Beach in the 90s to bring in top live acts. This Navigating the old Myrtle Beach streets during the pre-Bypass days are memories that stick with vacationers. The carousel loved it. Secondly the manager from Blackpool to whom you referred is my father, Carl. Even with the addition of many highways over the past several decades, getting from place to place can still be a dicey proposition during the busy season. There was an accident, but it didnt close the park. Blayne, I hope you can correct your inaccuracies. Maps; Parks nearby. And I had forgotten how the park changed into The Lighthouse Christian amusement park. The real tradgedy is how much we have grown apart since then and seldom ever see each other as we are all probably looking forward to becoming or already grand parents. The site is now occupied by two campgrounds. Im sorry to say I dont hardly remember anyone that worked there. MyrtleBeach.com is the Grand Strands largest privately- owned tourism portal. These days, the dinner-and-a-show entertainment continues nightly, but was re-themed in 2011 as Pirates Voyage. I think it had been closed for awhile and opened for a few days. So, its highly unlikely that Blaynes account is untrue. Lots of great memories and good friendships formed that summer. Originally called PirateLand, it was renamed for its 1975 re-opening with a revamped British theme. After two months, several rides were taken away to go to a large State Fair up North, by the end of the season, all the rides were gone, the lights turned out for the last time. I still maintain friendships with former employees who adored my dad and the tireless efforts he put into Magic Harbor. The Park just wasnt making enough money, so the owners just sold it. After two months, several rides were They had the arm wrestling game that wasn't at my local arcade in Monroe, N.C. Just being in that atmosphere was electric for me. Lol riding the water slide when I was t afraid of heights was great and the Ferris wheel. Its no wonder while locals refer to the park as Haunted Harbor. Dixie Stampede became one of the most popular shows in town during a time when the Myrtle Beach show scene was really thriving. The indoor ice rink was located there as well, only, its wasnt real ice. vacant, awaiting a new beginning or another use possibility? It offered some of the best views of the Grand Strand. Other nightlife spots have been replaced by undeniably unhip shops (both Studebakers and The Beach Wagon are now Dollar General discount stores). When the legal fees continued to mount, Mr. Thompson had no choice but to cut his losses. It did not make wise financial sense for Mr. Thompson to continue to invest money into MH when he was constantly paying unwarranted attorney fees to defend what he rightfully purchased and tried to do well. In the mid 1990s, a Carnival Ride Company took lease of the park grounds. Finally, Lakewood Camping Resort, the campground that once owned the park and changed its name and theme to The Lighthouse; along with another campground, Pirateland Campground, who occupies the land on the opposite side of what was once Magic Harbor, leased the land and split it down the middle. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Save $1,000s with the Monster Coupon app! Ive had many jobs since and none have ever treated its employees as well as we were all treated at Magic Harbor. The grounds still remain Originally called PirateLand, it was renamed for its 1975 re-opening with a revamped British theme. I seem to remember being very afraid of that. Heres a few of our favorites: Check out these great images of the Pavilion area taken from historic postcards from the 1960s (Click here to see more great postcards): Want to learn even more about the Pavilion? Required fields are marked *. Though these clubs have moved on, there are still plenty of bars, clubs, and places to dance,including Riptydz, and the long-running 3001 Nightlife (formerly 2001 Nightclub) and The Bowery for vacationers to make new memories. Perry has many more details than I can recall, but from the ones I can remember, his information is consistent with my recollection. My family and I would stay at the Firebird Inn while we were traveling there in the early nineties. in Myrtle Beach, Sherwood Forest/Barefoot RV Campground: Family campground located at 4825 Highway 17 South in North Myrtle Beach, Castle Dracula: Haunted house at 907 N. Ocean Blvd. 17 N. in North Myrtle Beach (Now, Around The World In 18 Holes: Oceanfront mini golf course open in the 1960s and 70s next to, The Pink House: Open from 19472005 as an inn, restaurant, and holiday shop at 4301 N. Kings Hwy. I had a few friends say it is the same one, but I cannot confirm that. Good memories each and every one., The Magic Attic. The pirates used a small cannon to make a big boom at the paddlewheel boat, and during one such exhibition, the cannon blew up, sending my brother the pirate over a building. My Mom and I both worked in the park. "Family Kingdom", in Myrtle Beach now has the top of the famous Seems like the location was Surfside Beach not Myrtle Beach. I wish my daughter could have a place to work here in Myrtle Beach today that was atleast half as fun as Magic Harbor was. The grounds still remain vacant, awaiting a new beginning or another use possibility? While were remembering nights at Mother Fletchers and other popular nightlife spots, you might recall the drinks being stronger in Myrtle Beach than anywhere elseand youre right. Lighthouse Steeple that used to grace the parks parking lot. My dad wasnt given the park to make a go of it whatsoever. Occupying its space, the Mad Mouse opens in 1998. This too turned to tragedy as a worker at the park, broke into the park managers office shooting him with a gun while robbing that days money take. I do have one question who were the people suing for business reasons and not reasons related to any of the tragic deaths that occurred? As the Myrtle Beach area grows in population, tourism increases at a steady pace throughout the 1930s. The smell of suntan lotion inside as well., The Magic Attic was where we always went to go meet Northern boys in the 90s Great Memories!, I remember the organ, playing skee ball with my dad and just walking along Ocean Boulevard. Magic Harbor Magic Harbor, Myrtle Beach Single-Family Homes Magic Harbor is a neighborhood of homes in Myrtle Beach South Carolina offering an assortment of beautiful styles, varying sizes and affordable prices to choose from. What would later become one of the Pavilions most iconic attractions, the Herschell-Sillman Carousel, is built in 1912. In 1992, the portion of Chester Street that runs through the pavilion is closed off, and the amusement park is expanded to take up the entire area between Eighth and Ninth avenues North from Ocean Boulevard to Kings Highway. If anyone knows the history of Magic Harbor, its Blayne Perry. !, Spent so many hours at the Magic Attic! Blaynes account is highly credible. She didnt stand up, the bar that held you securely in the ride malfunctioned and didnt lock. The rides across the street were great too. A similar ride is still in operation today at nearby Family Kingdom amusement park. Not to mention alot of GOOD friends where made for life times. As the city marks a decade since the closure of the Myrtle Beach Pavilion Amusement park, the former pavilion lot remains mostly empty. Myrtle Beach's Magic Harbor earned the nickname "Haunted Harbor" after a 13-year-old girl was thrown from its Black Witch coaster on April 3, 1983. The Rainbow was an awesome ride, especially in the daytime, you could see miles of ocean. Facebook Teresa Caffrey Taylor. park opened to great fanfare and fireworks on Memorial Day Weekend, but without Major The 1990s plans were to develop a theme park on the land, but it was eventually split up among a variety of entities, including the Myrtle Beach International Airport, Horry-Georgetown Technical College, and Santee Cooper utility company. My father ran that amusement park and waterslide with compassion and honesty and fairness to his employees. they would happily let us ride over and over if possible. My female cousins and friends that I took along on our beach trips all loved Magic Harbor as well. We used the nickname Tragic Harbor ALL the time (referring mostly to our treatment by the Blackpool ownership) but I never heard the phrase haunted harbor. It did not make wise financial sense for Mr. Thompson to continue to invest money into MH when he was constantly paying unwarranted attorney fees to defend what he rightfully purchased and tried to do well. I have tons of pictures from one day at each one yet not enough of the place where I grew up and became the person I am today. I operated the upside down roller coaster there in the mid 70s. The park had struggled to make it and this only caused more people to refrain from visiting. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Save $1,000s with the Monster Coupon app! From family photos snapped on the beach, to foggy memories of cruising the strip, to the silly souvenirs youve kept for a lifetime, theres so much to celebrate about those old Myrtle Beach vacations. Both The Freaky Tiki and Mother Fletchers Myrtle Beach locations became the completely rebuilt and renovated 8th Ave Tiki Bar. Sort By: Published Views Rating. MYRTLE BEACH PAVILION AMUSEMENT PARK Ocean Blvd 8th-9th Ave N The amusement park across Ocean Blvd is also closed and torn down. Facts. Did you know that Magic Harbor at the time was the largest amusement park on the south atlantic coast? Every time we went I had to check out the pavilion. opened in 1946 and was demolished in 2012. I spent a lot of time there the summer of 1980. Shows included dancing, singing, and comedy wrapped up in one big, modern-day Wild West revue. Directions. It was my best friends step father that was murdered Labor day weekend in 1976. Who Remembers Magic Harbor Barbara Meadows Hundley, Browns Summit, N.C. MyrtleBeach.com - 10 Things Myrtle Beach Pavilion Fans Will Love, MyrtleBeach.com - The History of Myrtle Beach Attractions, MyrtleBeach.com - Pavilion Park at Broadway at the Beach, Myrtle Beach Remembered - Myrtle Beach Pavilion, GoToMyrtleBeach.com - Myrtle Beach Pavilion Amusement Park: A Look Back, Bring Back The Pavilion - Facebook Fan Page, Amazon.com - "Images of America: Myrtle Beach Pavilion" by Lesta Sue Hardee & Janice McDonald. Again, the park changed hands and the company that owned Blackpool Pleasure Beach bought into the park. Visitors wishing to relive some of the history of the Myrtle Beach AFB can visit Warbird Park, on Farrow Parkway near U.S. 17 Business, which features replica warplanes and various monuments honoring those who served at the base. Wow. On Saturday, July 20, 1991, a 17-year-old male is killed while riding a ferris wheel at the park. Thompson changed the name back to Magic Harbor, and themed the park A British Amusement Park. We spoke on the phone with them frequently. It was exactly like the one currently at Family Kingdom in Myrtle Beach. I would also like to comment that Blayne Perrys account above is much more similar to what I recall than is the original account by Bret Malone. But its first home in Myrtle Beach was at Magic Harbor, unless I am mistaken and its not the same coasterbut I am pretty sure it was. External links Ride Zone Defunct parks It's Blayne- Yeah, Magic Harbor was on US-17 north of 544 and south of Myrtle Beach State Park. The final pieces of the demolition happen in March and April. It is true that the name Tragic Harbor (as a play on Magic Harbor) was, and is, used to reference the Park for many reasons: the obvious tragedies that occurred, the multiple ownerships, the questionable business tactics and employee treatment from the British group, etc Thanks for the comment Ky! It was an awesome place!, The smells of food cooking, the sounds of the people and the merry go round, the bleacher seats where they put on free shows, and the ocean waves behind us!, I loved taking my boys there when they were small. At the height of its popularity the store served as the hub of the Waccamaw Factory Shoppes, an enormous 750,000-square-foot outlet shopping complexat the time, the nations third largestthat included more than 100 stores. were gone, the lights turned out for the last time. Originally built for $1.5 million, the coaster first operates on the south side of Myrtle Beach at a British-themed amusement park called Magic Harbour but is purchased by the pavilion when that park closes.