I fell facedown, 4 and the glory of the LORD entered the temple . Four living creatures appear from the whirlwind. Many of Ezekiel's divine visions point to God's plans for reconstructing the present world and restoring his people to ideals of the garden of Eden. 586BC The Burning Bush Ezekiel prophesied to the the Jewish . And when I saw it, I fell on my face and heard a voice speak. View this answer. 12And (S)each one went straight forward; they went wherever the spirit wanted to go, and they did not turn when they went. All four had the same form; the appearance and structure of . 1 Peter Where is the glory today (cf 1Co 3:16, 6:19 20, 2Co 3:18, Mt 5:16 1Cor 10:31)? In the vision of the valley of dry bones, Ezekiel proclaims a complete restoration of the whole house of Israel. Genesis and Ancient Cosmic Geography. Scripture taken from the New King James Version. 722 BC The Northern Kingdom was taken into captivity by the Assyrians. For less than $5/mo. 8:4; 11:22, 23; 43:4, 5, Gen. 17:3; Ezek. 1 Now it came to pass in the thirtieth year, in the fourth month, on the fifth day of the month, as I was among the captives by the River Chebar, thatthe heavens were opened and I saw visions[ a] of God. The book opens with an account of the vision that summoned Ezekiel to his prophetic calling. A Vision of Idolatry in the Temple and the Lords Departure (chapters 8 11). Resurrection - Is it Taught in the Old Testament? Ezekiel describes these wheels (Ezekiel 1:15-21). COMFORT, CONSOLATION, COMFORT & COMMUNION FOR JUDAH & ISRAEL. Note that the events rapid cascade downward to doom for Judah in the following chapters as recorded in 2 Kings 24 & 2 Kings 25. 3. The following is a list of Ezekiel's visions, with the Scripture reference that helps us date each vision and the approximate date itself: Christ Connection Ezekiel means "God strengthens" or "strengthened by God." (Boston Public Library) When Babylon's King Nebuchadnezzar carried off Israel's King Jehoiachim and the leading families of Jerusalem into captivity in 597 BC, Ezekiel the priest was in that group. Ezekiel could see it all, including named persons dropping dead. Mark every key word. John This point occurs just after the final siege of Jerusalem begins (Ezekiel 24:2). Create your account. To view the purposes they believe they have legitimate interest for, or to object to this data processing use the vendor list link below. 2 Corinthians Judges Later, Babylon was conquered by the Medo-Persia empire and following that it was Greece and Rome.Introducing the neighbours. How?- See interrogate with the 5W'S & H). He was among 10,000 exiles carried off during a period. vv. and any corresponding bookmarks? he is holy and judges sin but also he is merciful and keeps his covenants. None of these were too committal (maybe wisely so) in interpreting unfulfilled prophecy. Note to whom or to what he was to speak and how. NOTE: Refer to the Timeline above to help get an overview of the timing of the prophesies of Ezekiel. The story of the prophet encountering God spawned merkavah mysticism, aptly named for the merkavah or chariot on which Ezekiel rode to the heavens. Ezekiel's Vision of God | Reformed Bible Studies & Devotionals at Ligonier.org | Reformed Bible Studies & Devotionals at Ligonier.org Although the term holy is not used in Ezekiel 1, the entire vision conveys the reality of the Lord's transcendence, His "set-apartness" as the Creator and ruler During the studies, I deliberately chose not to speculate or be controversial, but I would be remiss if I were to give the impression all of Ezekiels prophecies have been fulfilled or that the more tricky sections where there has not been literal fulfillment are not to be taken literally. In 597, following a rebellion against Babylon, Ezekiel was among the large group of Judeans taken into captivity by the Babylonians. Ezekiel's first vision was of God's throne and included descriptions of four living creatures and whirling wheels. Some of our partners may process your data as a part of their legitimate business interest without asking for consent. Much of the literature on the subject is a veritable labyrinth of confusion. When was the departure of God's glory prophesied - before or after the fall of Jerusalem? Ezekiel's Vision of a Scroll. For some time, they believed that he wrote practically the entire book while living in the colony of exiles. Words can barely encapsulate the vision Ezekiel saw. When you find one dont just mechanically mark it, but interrogate the word or phrase with a few questions (Who? 13:11, 13, Ex. Chapter 4. KEY PHRASES & WORDS*, 63/77x = Phrase found 63 times in Ezekiel out of all 77 uses in the Old Testament. Record your observations on a separate piece of paper. Read Ezekiel 1:1-3:27 and mark distinctively (with a color &/or symbol) the key words or phrases. Jeremiah 10As for (M)the likeness of their faces, each (N)had the face of a man; each of the four had (O)the face of a lion on the right side, (P)each of the four had the face of an ox on the left side, (Q)and each of the four had the face of an eagle. By Mendel Dubov. 7Their [c]legs were straight, and the soles of their feet were like the soles of calves feet. With them, the coming destruction is to be final and does not anticipate any reformation on their part. (THE LORD IS NOT THERE), PROPHECY OF RESTORATION [16] While the book exhibits considerable unity and probably reflects much of the historic Ezekiel, it is the product of a long and complex history and does not necessarily preserve the very words of the prophet. The pendulum swung back in the post-war period, with an increasing acceptance of the book's essential unity and historical placement in the Exile. What happens to the glory of the LORD? [21], The first half of the 20th century saw several attempts to deny the authorship and authenticity of the book, with scholars such as C. C. Torrey (18631956) and Morton Smith placing it variously in the 3rd century BCE and in the 8th/7th. Art by Sefira Lightstone. - -1-3 - - the call of Ezekiel as a prophet - -4-24 - - Ezekiel's prophecies against Jerusalem - - 25-32- -Ezekiel's prophecies against the nations- - 33-48 - - Ezekiel's prophecies of the future restoration of Israel. What are the events associated with the three key dates in red? Ezekiel explained that for each day he lay on his left side, northern Israel would be in captivity for one year, and for each day he lay on his right side, the southern kingdom Judah would spend a year in captivity. Be sure to read the last verse of the book. 2-4 The vision transports Ezekiel back to Jerusalem. The fire was bright, and out of the fire went lightning. This later prophecy concerns a Temple yet to be built (and still has not been built the Temple built on Israels return from exile was not it and neither was that build by Herod and destroyed in AD 70). Ezekiel's First Temple Vision: Ezekiel 8 - 19: 591 BC: Ezekiel Sees God Refuse the Elders: Ezekiel 20: 591 BC: Ezekiel Prophesies against Jerusalem: Ezekiel 21, 22: 591 BC: Ezekiel Prophesies against two Sisters: Ezekiel 23: 588 BC: Siege of Jerusalem Begins: Ezekiel 24: 587 BC: God's Vengeance on Ammon and Edom: He was appointed to be a watchman (chapters 3 and 33) whose solemn duty was to warn of danger and pass on Gods message to those who needed it even when they rejected it, which he discharged faithfully. A modern parallel is the use of visual aids such as flannelgraph, overhead projectors, and dramatic monologues. Nebuchadnezzar, who with his defeat of Neco had become the dominant world power, besieged Jerusalem for the second time taking King Jehoiachin into exile to Babylon (this event in 597BC helps understand the fifth year of Jehoiachins exile specifically given by in Ezekiel 1:2) along with 10,000 Jews, one of whom was the young man Ezekiel. The Babylonians (also called Chaldeans) had begun to besiege, attack, and raid Jerusalem. Ezekiel appears only briefly in the Dead Sea Scrolls, but his influence there was profound, most notably in the Temple Scroll with its temple plans, and the defence of the Zadokite priesthood in the Damascus Document. "The Dry Bones. Colossians (See opening picture.) How are they described? 609 BC In 2Ki 23:29 (CP 2Chr 35:20, 21, 22, 23, 24) God's judgment on Judah began when King Josiah was killed on the plain of Megiddo trying to stop Pharaoh Neco, king of Egypt, on his way to Carchemish on the Euphrates. Ezekiel is brought to a valley of dry bones and the Lord asks him to prophesy of the dry bones. Ezekiel Sees the Glory & Receives the Call, Chapter 25-32 Although that may be a valid observation, it would hardly distinguish this chapter from others. Then after the fall in Chapter 33, he shifts to a message of hope which includes the promise of a new heart. Terms in this set (51) Ezekiel saw his first vision while on the bank of what river? The prophet is so overcome by the vision that he falls on his face. 24(AE)When they went, I heard the noise of their wings, (AF)like the noise of many waters, like (AG)the voice of the Almighty, a tumult like the noise of an army; and when they stood still, they let down their wings. Watch for and record the reason for the vision of the temple and its measurements. (1:4-5) The likeness of four living creatures. CliffsNotes study guides are written by real teachers and professors, so no matter what you're studying, CliffsNotes can ease your homework headaches and help you score high on exams. 1 Corinthians Why is he told to do it? (1:2) Jehoiachin. See Eze. Where are they? Name the Judean king held captive at the time of Ezekiel's ministry. Most scholars today accept the basic authenticity of the book, but see in it significant additions by a school of later followers of the original prophet. So when I saw it, (AN)I fell on my face, and I heard a voice of One speaking. They and their ancestors have rebelled against me to this day. BY BABYLON, 586 BC 3RD SIEGE OF JERUSALEM described in 2Ki 25:1-21 Record this date in your Bible margin The siege began in 588 B.C. The glory that departed in chapter 10 returns in chapter 43. The people who were left in Jerusalem after the first captivity consoled themselves with the idea that they were better off than their brethren who were taken to Babylon. Among his more famous prophecies, which were compiled in the Book of Ezekiel, are his visions of the Divine Chariot, the Valley of the Dry Bones and the Third Temple. when he was about 30 years of age and continued until about 571 B.C. 1:10 ). [25] The process of purification begins, God prepares to leave, and a priest lights the sacrificial fire to the city. Although Yahweh is, in Ezekiel's mind, a universal God, this universality does not mean that Yahweh stands in the same relationship to the foreign nations as he does to the people of Israel. An example of data being processed may be a unique identifier stored in a cookie. Ezekiel had his vision in Babylon as one of the captive exiles ( Ezek 1:1-3 ). 5. Ezekiel also had detailed visions of a new temple ( Ezekiel 4043 ), a restored Jerusalem ( Ezekiel 48:30-35 ), the millennium (chapter 44), and the land in which God's people will reside ( Ezekiel 47:13-23 ). A further deportation of Jews from Jerusalem to Babylon occurred in 586 when a second unsuccessful rebellion resulted in the destruction of the city and its Temple and the exile of the remaining elements of the royal court, including the last scribes and priests. 2 He said to me, "Son of man, stand up, and I will speak to you." 2 As he spoke to me, the Spirit entered me, stood me on my feet, and I heard [1], Ezekiel is referenced more in the Book of Revelation than in any other New Testament writing. Ezekiel sees a whirlwind fire storm (Ezekiel 1:4). 6Each one had four faces, and each one had four wings. In this vision the Lord is as a teacher and instructs Ezekiel. The spirit of Ezekiel's work determined to a very great extent the character of the religious life of the people during the centuries that followed his teachings. (AM)This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the Lord. He cut off his hair, dividing it into three parts that symbolized northern Israel, the Judeans left in Jerusalem, and those in captivity in Babylon. Comparing his vision to Babylonian iconography reveals that Ezekiel saw a divine "throne chariot" of the heavenswidely described in the ancient biblical world. Matt. I suggest that you record the dates of events in the margin next to the corresponding Scripture. Jerusalem must be destroyed because of its sins. NOW BEGIN TO READ THROUGH EZEKIEL 605BC He said, " [Ezek 1:15] As I gazed on the creatures, I saw one wheel on the ground next to each of the four-faced creatures. In chapter 40, the prophet is transported in vision from his home among the exiles in Babylon to Israel, where a divine messenger holding a measuring rod appears to him. (Who is the Angel of the LORD?) What are the 3 stages of the fall of Jerusalem and who went into exile with each stage? The inhabitants would suffer terribly. Read. Because Ezekiel believes that Yahweh rules supreme over all the nations of the earth, any violation of Yahweh's commands without appropriate punishment constitutes an infringement upon the deity's honor. Use this link to donate: https://www.paypal.com/paypalme2/EthosEntertainment Prophet Ezekiel is one of . If you don't already own one, I highly recommend you consider purchasing one (Click here) if you are interested in inductive Bible study. What came out of the middle of the whirlwind? The selective destruction of people in Jerusalem. (see Acts 26:7, Jas1:1, Re 21:12 as support that these 10 tribes are not lost). 3:15; Ezek. Erich von Dniken is one of the biggest proponents of this theory, providing a very compelling argument for an alternative .