Great recipe. Required fields are marked *. (I'm the youngest of six kids.) https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2020/02/17/gluten-free-yeast-baking I finally found a recipe that gets me almost there, but it's still not like the fruit kolaches I used to get in Texas (light and airy, like a dinner roll). I hope you enjoy this recipe, and I wish you many wonderful days of sharing holiday traditions with your loved ones. Im sure my mom would have said in reply to your comment, They dont know whats good., My grandmother would have said, Try it, you might like it.. optional: 1 tbsp candied orange peel or 1/2 tsp grated citrus zest. Do not overbake! As a bonus, the chilled dough was extremely easy to roll out. Cover and let rise until doubled. Why Do You Have to Massage Kale? Cook on low for at least 8 hours (I've gone up to 12 hours once when I forgot about the cans, results were still good). These treats became ubiquitous at church dinners and bazaars. I will have to try your method.. thank you Linda, Linda, those sound lovely, a bit like the Hungarian rolls I also make: https://commonsensehome.com/how-to-make-hungarian-rolls/, Hi Laurie,We just love Kolache, and your tutorial is excellent. . Thank you for sharing your history with us. Save my name and email in this browser for the next time I comment. Use whatever your favorite fruit preserves are, but recipe creator Nan recommends cherry, apricot, or blueberry. Distinct from the unadorned yeast cakes of Eastern Europe (or those additionally flavored with raisins), varieties from Bohemia, Moravia, and Slovenia were paired with povidla (plum butter made from cooking down Italian plums without the addition of sweeteners). The key is adding sour cream! In a small bowl or measuring cup, dissolve the yeast in cup milk. Im from Czech Republic and its really nice to see people from far away enjoying things that Im so familiar with. For this kolache recipe, we made three versions a blueberry filling, a mixed berry filling (raspberry and strawberry in mine) and a sweetened cheese filling. Her mother made Kolache from memory once a year at Christmas, using prune filling. If you weighed the flour, most likely you will use it all. this recipe and this website with my friend. Add ricotta and mix for another 30 seconds. Makes around six dozen. Sure, as long as your mixing bowl is big enough. Im enjoying your Kolache experiments. You can freeze these pastries in layers with wax paper or parchment paper between. I'd like to share my recipes for pizza, breads, Italian cakes and cookies, as well as other family favorites with you! Ive continued her tradition of making Czech kolaches & also her method of surrounding all the fruit ( after removing them from the oven & cooling a bit) with vanilla frosting. Culinary scholar Gil Marks wrote about the history of American Cakes for ToriAvey.com, revealing the history and culture of the United States through its classic treat. They sell 2 cup containers of plain, non-hydrogenated lard. For a dazzling presentation, each indentation of a large cake round is filled with a different flavor and color. Blend in 1 cups flour. For Cabbage Filling Fry the cabbage in the butter until soft. 1 cup (8 fl oz, 237 ml) whole milk (lower fat milk can be substituted) 1 package (0.25 oz, 7 gr, or 2 1/2 tsp) active dry or quick rise yeast 1/4 cup (1.75 oz, 49 gr) granulated sugar 1/3 cup (5 1/2 TBSP, 2.6oz, 73gr) unsalted butter, melted and cooled 2 large eggs, room temperature PLEASE tell me that the calorie counts and fat and carb counts are for the ENTIRE recipe. Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack. You might try this, which is my standard poppy seed filling recipe: https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/hamantaschen-poppy-seed-mohn-filling/. KOLACHE is Czech not Hungarian (which is where kolacky comes from). Combine milk mixture and yeast in a large bowl. Published: January 6, 2021 | Last Modified: April 8, 2023 | by Marie with 62 Comments. Add the reserved flour 2 tablespoons at a time while the machine kneads. With wooden spoon add lard or poultry fat, eggs and 1 cup flour. I also had to rediscover the oleo area of the grocery store for a buttermilk pie recipe that my husband loves, passed down from his granny. Modern cookie adaptations, particularly prominent among Poles, use sour cream or cream cheese pastry dough instead of the traditional yeast, but the latter remains the most common and authentic. Whip up a batch of both, to find which one is your favorite, and you'll have plenty of homemade kolaches for sharing with friends and family. I just made this recipe this morning! This is wonderful! I bake them before freezing. Everyone in the house enjoyed them very much. Very interesting! The quality will not be quite as good as fresh, but acceptable. I wouldnt ruin my kolache with that. PS-I want to make a full batch, but our household consists of 2 people, and would like a way to store them for future days ahead. If I freeze them unbaked, do I unthaw them first? Czechs in America enjoyed their coffee with kolache, becoming a way of entertaining neighbors and making more bearable the hardships and isolation of farm life. Lady Bird Johnson, in the July 7, 1967 entry in her White House Diary (published in 1970), described a trip to Praha, a community in Fayette County Texas founded by Czechs and named for Prague, reflecting the assimilated Czechs retaining their kolache tradition: The tables were loaded with fried catfish and black-eyed peas, fried chicken and thick slabs of homemade bread, and for dessert a typical specialty of the area kolaches, a rich pastry that has a center of dried apricots or prunes. Since 1984, Burleson County Texas to usher in the fall has sponsored an annual one-day Kolache Festival, celebrating Czech heritage and featuring baking competitions and a kolache-eating contest. In Europe, Czechs used a form of the Teutonic quark for the cheese topping and, in 19th century America, substituted drained clabber; more recently, cream cheese and/or farmer cheese emerged as the principal cheese. Add in the yeast-milk mixture and half the flour. The father, coming in from a long day in the fields, picked up the cake cooling on the table and took a bite. Then blend in cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla and/or teaspoon cinnamon. Thats estimated by the recipe widget. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in warm milk; let stand 10 minutes. Thanks for sharing, Laurie! Thank you so much! Using a fork or your fingers, stir in the butter to make fine crumbs. (Makes enough for 16 kolaches.). Beautiful taste. Cut the dough into 12 equal rectangles. The variations around the country are interesting. Leo, in a low voice, tossed off some scornful remark in Bohemian. Palm roll the dough into balls. After reading other recipes, including another one of yours for poppy seed filling, all the other ones had beaten eggs in it and this one didnt. Cool until thick. Is Homemade Butter Really Worth the Effort? Stir in 2 cups flour, cooled milk mixture, and eggs; beat using the dough hook attachment until smooth. Very Light and Fluffy Kolaches With a Thin Crust. Roll up each kolache, pulling and tucking or pinching the edges to make sure there are no holes. I first heard of kolaches when I decided to make them myself. For Cottage Cheese Filling Mix all ingredients together until blended. I wouldnt recommend it. A few of these establishments no longer make traditional plum kolache, but offer unorthodox versions, such as sausage-jalapeo-and-cheese (actually a klobasnek) and, in November, pumpkin-cheese. Hi all, I've been experimenting with making czech style fruit kolaches for some time now. Genevieve, can you send me your recipe. Chop the prunes and put a little of the Jam on the center of each biscuit. Brush the sides of the kolache with egg wash, then fill with the cheese or fruit and sprinkle the sides with the streusel topping. Divide it into about 20 pieces. If you only need 8 to 10 rolls, just measure out your yeast and save it for another time! Ive seen the square kolache here, too, but for whatever reason mom never made that type. That said, if youre limiting calories or carbs, this recipe is probably not a best choice for you. Poultry fat doesnt belong there. Place on the prepared sheet, leaving several inches between each round. My sister is here and we are going to try and make our grandmothers recipe. Using a heavy mixer, add flour until all has been used. Divide dough into 16 equal size portions and form balls, Arrange on prepared pans, cover with plastic and allow to rest in warm place for 1.5 hours, Grease and flour the bottom of a cup dry measure or a glass with a 2 inch diameter and use to make deep indents on top of each ball until bottom of measure touches baking sheet (see photo), Fill each indentation with about 1.5 tablespoons of filling (if you are making both cheese and fruit filling, you will need only half of each filling recipe), Brush tops of each pastry with egg wash, and then sprinkle sides with streusel. I personally have never made these. Related to kolache are Czech buchty (buchta singular), a bun with the sweet mixture enclosed inside. To make the dough: Weigh your flour; or measure it by gently spooning it into a cup, then sweeping off any excess. Required fields are marked *. The sweet dough is exactly the same; just different fillings. Dont be tempted to add more, the dough should be a little sticky.Using the dough hook attachment, knead until dough is soft and elastic though it does get smooth, its still a little sticky (though elastic) and you have to kind of scrape it off the side of the bowl. so delicate. Preheat oven to 375F. They came out beautifully and tasted great! The kolaches made with the dough that had chilled overnight took a lot longer to rise (almost two hours), but still baked up nicely. Add additional flour if necessary. Cool to lukewarm. Add the milk and continue adding as much of the remaining flour as you can mix in with a wooden spoon. Kolache are best eaten on the same day they are made, but can be covered with plastic wrap and stored at room temperature for up to 2 days on in freezer for up to 3 months. Kolache are a sweet Czech pastry made of yeast dough. What is poultry fat used for? If using cottage cheese as a filling, be sure to enclose cheese in the dough. Add sugar and salt, let set until bubbles form (about 10 minutes). For Prune Filling Place the prunes in a bowl and cover them completely with boiling water. I find the taste of tallow to be a little strong for my palate when used in sweet baked goods (I prefer to use it for savory dishes), but if you are used to it and like it, it may be okay. In fact, they feature several differences from their delectable dessert counterparts, including: TIP: Brush the kolache dough rounds with an egg wash made of egg and milk. Sometimes it makes me feel like Cinderella. To use, simply remove from freezer and thaw to room temp. Pour the butter mixture into the flour mixture, then add the warm sour cream and eggs and stir until well mixed. I finally found a recipe that gets me almost there, but it's still not like the fruit kolaches I used to get in Texas (light and airy, like a dinner roll). Add salt and egg yolks. Microwave on high for about 6 to 8 minutes and stir halfway through cooking. Proof yeast in lukewarm water and 1 Tablespoon sugar. Sprinkle yeast over warm water; let stand until yeast dissolves. Cream butter, sugar, and salt together until smooth and fluffy. Mom always made poppy seed, prune, apricot, cherry & once in awhile shed make cottage cheese or other fruits she had available. From rounds to folded pockets, hand sized to pie-sized, sweet to savory, your imagination seems to be the limit. (See filling recipes below.) I would love to have one or two right now they look so good. For cheese, just beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth, then beat in yolk, zest and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients flour, sugar, yeast, and salt in the bowl of a standing mixer, then add milk mixture and knead for two minutes on low speed. Combine vegan butter, shortening, Just Egg, aquafaba, and salt in a large bowl or mixer. I have an old, tin cutter for kolaches with the four corners turned in to make a cute little design on the top, at least I think thats how it works since Ive never used it. Mix thoroughly with wooden spoon, working the dough till smooth. We are no longer supporting IE (Internet Explorer), 70 Muffin Recipes Youll Want to Make Again and Again, This Plant Subscription Box Means a New Houseplant on Your Doorstep Regularly, Do not Sell or Share My Personal Information, 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast, 2 cups canned prune, poppy seed, cherry or lemon pie filling. Thank you so much for this! With a large spoon or your thumb, press 6 evenly spaced deep large triangular indentations into the dough, leaving a -inch-wide outer rim and between the indentations. My mother always added 1-2 teaspoons of quick tapioca to thicken the canned pie filling. Ethnic stores would be another good place to look. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat 1 cups (156 grams) flour, sugar, salt, yeast, and nutmeg at medium-low speed until well combined. Bake until golden brown or the center of the dough registers about 180F on an instant-read thermometer, 15 to 25 minutes. Your email address will not be published. Pronounced "koh-lah-shee," the word kolacheis derived from theCzech word,kola, meaning wheels or rounds, referring to the shape of the pastry. Add butter, egg yolks and yeast/milk mixture. Note: If you are working with chilled dough, it may take the shaped rolls up to two hours to really rise. Our kolaches are always closed. . Kolache are also featured at annual Czech Fests and Kolache Days in Wilson, Kansas; Wilber, Nebraska; Prague, Oklahoma (nicknamed Kolache-ville); Yukon, Oklahoma; and the Kolache Shoot-out in Elba, Nebraska. May be frozen for up to a month. Im going to try making some soon. Thankyou so much for sharing! I made them as advertised. (Very new baker here). Using a large bowl (you can do this in a KitchenAid mixer or Bosch universal mixer with a dough hook, or by hand), dissolve yeast and milk. Youre welcome. Meanwhile, make the filling: Chop apricots and combine in a pot with water to cover them and sugar. I used to have them as a child. The long answer is that while they do resemble donuts and even danishes, kolaches have mistakingly become synonymous with donuts and donut shops. We may earn a commission from your purchases. I used your apricot lekvar recipe for the apricot filling and it piped beautifully. There are even restaurants in Texas and Indiana specializing only in assorted sweet and savory kolache. Wilderness brand canned fillings are quite good- nice short cut is right. I need to be making these again, and teaching my daughter and granddaughter! Your email address will not be published. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. The last steps are missing??? At this point you can let the dough rise for an hour and proceed with the recipe, or you can refrigerate the dough overnight and let it rise slowly. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease the sheet. Your email address will not be published. My Family Loved it. That was a real mess to clean up! you want to fill them about level, not too full or they will run all over. Sometimes there is a fine line between cakes, breads, and pastries. Hi Laurie! Stuffed with hearty sausage, gooey Cheddar cheese, and filling hash browns, these kolaches are an all-in-one breakfast, great for grabbing and going. Add yeast to mixture. I'm eager to try it. I was intrigued by the similarity in appearance to danish, but they are very different. I have no experience at all with bread machines but from what I understand you can use them to mix and knead dough - so as long as this is correct, I don't see why not? http://www.modernstead.com/grandmas-apron/, https://commonsensehome.com/how-to-make-hungarian-rolls/, http://partykitchen.wordpress.com/2012/12/06/kolacky/, How to Render Chicken Fat, and What to Do With It The Self-Sufficient Life, 6 Ways to Get the Musty Smell Out of Clothes and Towels, 2 packages dry yeast (4 1/2 teaspoons) or 3 1/2 teaspoons SAF-INSTANT yeast. Meanwhile, kolache in America transposed from being a homemade treat to increasingly a commercial product. But that's not to say the cheese version was bad. I am passionate about sharing authentic, flavorful recipes with you. Steps to Make It. Mix together until well combined. I chose the option of making the dough the night before and putting it in the refrigerator for the first rise. But we found out they have a very short life. http://www.modernstead.com/grandmas-apron/ Please stop by and check it out . 4. It will be sticky. * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Besides bakeries, a number of doughnut stores and other franchises in Texas sell them. Stand your cans up in the slow cooker and pour water in to cover cans fully. Rub over with butter or lard (melted). Roll out on a floured surface to 1/2-in. Mom always made an awesome poppyseed syrup one. Good idea! I often tuck mine on the back of the stove, or you can place it on top of the fridge, or even set it in a bowl of warm water. Every donut shop and bakery had them. Taste of Home is America's #1 cooking magazine. I made sure to take out right at 180 degrees. Would like to do a Huevos Rancheros Kolache texan style closed. Add rest of flour slowly, beating after each addition, to form a soft dough. Yes, you can replace the fruit filling with canned pie filling. Wash and remove the labels from your cans of sweetened condensed milk. Pour the dough onto a well-floured board. Assemble the Cookies: Preheat the oven to 350F. Just combine 3 ingredients and microwave! All rights reserved. I often go through and flatten them all down initially, and then flatten them a little bit more as I fill. We always made kolache with a prune or raspberry filling, and scored the dough into squares, then after filling, just pulled over 2 opposite corners and of course sprinkled with powdered sugar after they baked. Your recipe is more for cinnamon rolls and other sweet rolls. Unfortunately I've had to go gluten free. My name is Tori Avey, Im so glad youre here! Bake at 375F until light golden brown, about 10-12 minutes. Making the filling is work on its own, and I often still follow my grandma's strategy of making the filling one day and kolaches the next. Measured incorrectly? I cant wait to try your recipes. In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, flour, and optional cinnamon. Place the pieces on lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheets or 913 inch pans, leaving about an inch between them. Are these your favorite so far? Plus Hacks for Making It Easier, 7 Ways to Make Bottled Gravy Taste Better, 7 Ways to Make Celebrating the Holidays Alone a Little Happier, 7 Ways to Make Quick Dinners in Your Instant Pot Multicooker, 17 Polish Recipes to Make Your Grandmother Proud, Long Live the Choco Taco: Here's How to Make Them at Home, Polish Recipes to Make Your Grandmother Proud, 8 Comforting Russian Soups for Fall and Winter Weather. Using a large bowl (you can do this in a KitchenAid mixer or Bosch universal mixer with a dough hook, or by hand), dissolve yeast and milk. And that's how kolache got its name. It has enough water and fat to keep it from becoming too dense. Her first job was to do the weekly baking for a neighbor with a large family and a new baby. Note: If you are working with chilled dough, it may take the shaped rolls up to two hours to really rise.Make filling while dough rises. Use an immersion blender to blend the dulce de leche until it reaches a smooth consistency. My Mother in law is Czech. I thought the cheese filling wasn't sweet enough. I'll keep an eye out for GF flour and keep you posted. Soon the fame of the kolache spread throughout the Czech-Austro-Hungarian empire and on to the New World.. My Dad was 100% Checz and my Mom German. Step 3: Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well. We like the cherry and cream cheese fillings combo and I need to remember to make them walnut sized or else they are HUGE! Your email address will not be published. Reviewer bran says, "My Czech great-grandmother made prune kolaches so I grew up eating them and these taste the closest to hers.". Place dough in a greased bowl, turn once to grease surface. I was hoping to see your Hungarian rolls, as my grandparents were Hungarian and I wanted to see if they are the same, but the link is not working. Thanks! I do not have a stand mixer. My Czech step-grandmother used to make these with poppyseed filling but hers were enclosed. All that's needed is a little sprinkling of powdered sugar or a drizzle of glaze to make them wow-worthy. And I'd probably opt for a long overnight rest in the refrigerator to give the dough a bit more time to develop. Combine wet ingredients milk, butter, and eggs in measuring cup (It will be lumpy; don't over-mix.) Set the bowl on the mixer stand and begin kneading with the dough hook. Top with powdered sugar. Makes around six dozen. We used to make them sometimes for the catering business, too. Kolaches are made with butter and cream cheese. It will not rise very much if you refrigerator it.Next day (or in an hour, after dough has risen), remove the dough from the refrigerator or wherever youd set it to rise and punch it down. The dough was fabulously fun to work with, and I bet it would be fun for kitchen-helper kids. Add the flour and salt. Though creating tension is still needed, the lighter you are when shaping the dough, the more fluffy your loaf will be. Press a small indentation in the center of each roll and add a spoonful of cheese filling or canned pie filling. Add butter, then flour which has been dissolved in a little bit of water.