2019 Annual Sickle cell and thalassaemia conference; 14th anniversary;
Etc. Venues, County Hall, London
21-23 October, 2019
Theme: Sickle cell and Thalassaemia Disorders New Treatment Horizons; while ensuring patient safety and delivering excellence in routine patient care
This year’s theme seeks to build on the previous meetings’ themes and address some of the areas that delegates suggested for further coverage. With the emergence of new therapies on the horizon, the complexities in decision making and challenges in funding, new strategies are required to ensure sustainable programmes. This is relevant in all settings including developed countries where disparities still exist and professional and user engagement may be limited.
In 2019 we plan to address a wide variety of themes including: implementation of newborn screening for hemoglobinopathies, cohort studies, and the development of management protocols and national control programmes.
- New therapies including clinical trials at different stages- Phase I/II/III in sickle cell disease and thalassaemia
- Update on Gene therapies, gene editing and bone marrow transplantation
- Psychosocial aspects including patient reported outcomes and body, mind and health related quality of life in sickle cell disease and thalassaemia
- Blood transfusion including apheresis, iron chelation therapy and acute haemolytic complications.
- Quality standards in the diagnosis, treatment of sickle cell and thalassaemia- Global priorities
- We plan to run ‘meet the expert’ sessions, seminars and tutorials.
Full patient forums where children, adults and parents will share their experiences will be convened during the three days.
Program: ASCAT programe 2019