Secretary: Anne Oddotte
Tel: 020 7188 2741
Jo Howard was appointed as a consultant at Guy’s and St Thomas’ in 2007, and is head of the red cell/sickle cell service. Before coming to work here, she was a consultant at Central Middlesex Hospital (North West London Hospitals) where she ran their sickle cell service.
Jo receives referrals for patients with complications of sickle cell disease from all over the UK.
She has lectured on sickle cell disease at national conferences, including the British Society of Haematology, Royal College of Pathology, Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology and British Thoracic Society.
She is involved in several research projects in sickle cell disease and has published in this area.
Jo is on the steering committees for the UK Forum for Haemoglobin Disorders, the National Haemoglobinpathy Registry and the British Committee for Standards in Haematology (General Haematology) and is the lead for Adult Peer Review for haemoglobinopathies.
- sickle cell disease
- management of chronic complications of sickle cell disease (e.g. stroke, renal disease, orthopaedic problems)
- Sickle cell disease and associated complications.
- Download a list of Dr Jo Howard’s publications (PDF 14Kb)
- Recent publication in The Lancet, January 2013:
- Haematological training in the North Thames rotation, including Hammersmith Hospital and the Royal Free Hospital.